Scroll To Top
Our History & Mission
On April 18, 1907, the Lutheran Inner Mission Society of Pittsburgh was officially formed at the First English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Pittsburgh in response to concerns by Lutheran church groups for action on behalf of neglected children, delinquent youth, and persons in institutional care. The City Mission was officially incorporated in 1915.
The Mission's charter and constitution were amended in 1949, changing the name of the agency to Lutheran Service Society of Western Pennsylvania, in order to better describe their changing ministries and wider geographic service area.
Now in partnership with Lutheran SeniorLife, Lutheran Service Society, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, provides community-based human services that empower our neighbors in Allegheny, Beaver, Butler and Westmoreland counties as well as in West Virginia, to lead independent, dignified and secure lives.
Our vision is to provide a community where our neighbors can have stability, safety and security.